Wednesday, December 21, 2016

It's the Shortest Day of the Year

I feel a little bit like things are slipping.  I’m trying to keep a grip on things but it’s either fading or slipping away.  There are plenty of hours to get everything done, just not enough mental or physical energy.  This would be an awful feeling except for one thing: it is the shortest day of the year!  Soon the days will start getting longer!!
I have been reading a LOT of books since my last “What I’ve Been Reading Lately” post.  Right after we moved in September I got a library card so I’ve been discovering new books in different genres.  We don’t have internet at home, so that gives me more time to read.
Fun Books:
Vinyl Café Diaries by Stuart MacLean
The Story Girl by L.M. Montgomery
The Little Old Lady Who Broke All the Rules by ___
The MacDonald Hall series by Gordon Korman
Schooled, also by Gordon Korman
More Serious Fiction:
Open Secrets and Runaway, both by Alice Munro
The Secrets of Midwives by Sally Hepworth
Child and Youth Work Related Memoirs:
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer
The Boy No One Loved by Casey Watson
Deliver Me From Evil by Alloma Gilbert
Non-Fiction:
Jesus Feminist by Sarah Bessey
Currently Reading:
The Contemporary Catechism of the Teachings of the Catholic Church by ____
Kids are Worth It! by Barbara Coloroso
I Kissed Dating Goodbye by Joshua Harris
Federal Husband by Douglas Wilson
I’ll only comment on a few since it’s a long list.  I enjoyed The Secrets of Midwives because it reads like a mystery/crime novel but without the murder.  I am drawn to that genre but always end up with nightmares from the violence described, so this was a nice compromise.  I would consider it an 18+ novel because of some of the content.
The child and youth work related memoirs were eye-opening and horrifying.   They are books I would tell you to read “if you have to”. By that I mean read them if you are interested in understanding or helping people who have been abused or have experienced trauma.  If you are looking for an interesting new book, these aren’t for you.  But if you think the Children’s Aid Society or Child Protective Services are unnecessary, READ THESE. 
Vinyl Café Diaries is so much fun.  I took the book camping in October and ended up reading some of the stories out loud to Michael.  I couldn’t tell him what was funny without retelling the whole story, and Stuart MacLean’s words are just so much better than mine!
I just finished Jesus Feminist.  I am still processing it, so I don’t have much to say except this: while Sarah Bessey presents a lot of ideas that are foreign to my upbringing and church background, she does it in a gracious and thought-provoking way.   She isn’t an angry feminist at all – she is a woman committed to following Jesus and caring about people.
Wishing you all a good shortest day of the year.  Here’s to all of us who have made. it. by God’s grace.  Things are looking up.  We got this.  Here’s to sunshine and later sunsets!

No comments:

Post a Comment