Friday, April 7, 2017

Books, Books, and More Books!

My TBR (To Be Read) list is a source of joy to me.  It keeps growing.  It is to the point now where I have it divided into five categories to keep track of it. This doesn’t stress me out at all, in fact, it energizes me.  I love to read and to learn, and my best learning comes from reading.  Plus I know that if I look over my list and decide some of the titles no longer look interesting to me, I can just erase them. J
I’m going to share with you one book from each category, to give you an idea of what I would like to read.
From the Fiction category: The Perfect Storm by Sebastian Junger. 
From Child and Youth Care Related Books: The Connected Child by Dr. Karyn Purvis. 
From Religious Non-Fiction: Up from the Stubborn Darkness by Ed Welch.
From Memoirs and Biographies: Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh. 
From Other Non-Fiction: Contrepeneurs by Diane Frances.
I recently finished The Feminist Mistake by Mary Kassian.  It’s an in-depth look at the development of feminist thought in North America over the last sixty years.  If you have questions about feminism, this is one book you should read.  And if you just like to read about the development of philosophy as an intellectual exercise, you will enjoy this one.  This book made me think, but I also just enjoyed the reading of it.
I also recently read Is Everyone Hanging out without Me? (And other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling and Out came the Sun by Mariel Hemingway.  Both were memoirs written by women in the film industry, but that’s pretty much where the similarity ended.  Kaling’s book is lighthearted and fun.  She’s a comedy writer and she writes and acts in the TV show The Office. I enjoyed it because a lot of what I’m interested in is the deep tough themes of mental health and human relationships, and this book was a break from that.  Hemingway’s book deals with her journey of overcoming the legacy of mental illness, addiction, and suicide in her family.  This one was much darker and more difficult.  Ironically, I enjoyed it precisely because it was all about the themes of mental health and human relationships.
Currently I’m reading How to Bake Pi: An Edible Exploration of the Mathematics of Mathematics by Eugenia Cheng and Mistress Pat by L.M. Montgomery. How to Bake Pi is fascinating if you’re interested in math.  It’s probably still fascinating if you aren’t, but I don’t know that from experience.  My love for math is being rekindled, and now I envy the author her job as university math lecturer. :P  Mistress Pat is comfort reading.  I mean, it’s written by L.M. Montgomery; what more can I say?
This week I listened to Canada Reads 2017, which originally aired last week.  Now I’ve added more books to my list: Company Town by Madeline Ashby and The Break by Katherna Vermette.  I’m excited about these because of the Canadian connection.  My reading challenge of sorts (other than “Read the books on my list”) is “Read books by Canadian authors”.

What are you reading?  Do you have books I should add to my list?

No comments:

Post a Comment